Saturday 3 May 2014

The Deku Mask Part 3 - Painting and Final Touches

The final part to finish your Deku mask. Remember, I'm just showing what I did and i encourage you to google other masks or put your own touches to make this mask your own! Now I present- The home stretch!
Bringing it to life! 

Materials
-Acrylic Paint (Brown, Black,Yellow)
-Paint Brushes
-Disposable Cups
-Hot Glue Gun
-Super Glue
-Fake Leaves (you can get from Plastic Plants)
-Twine (Optional)
-Yellow Tissue Paper or Celluloid 

Note on Materials
You can buy all these materials at the Dollar Store if you're cheap like me. 

a) Painting Time
Take your time, paint your masterpiece! =D
You have your blank mask ready for paint, since it's paper mache it should absorb the paint pretty well. I always start with a base coat, so paint the whole thing brown and let it dry. You can stop here if you wish, but to add a nice touch, all pictures of the Deku Mask are darker in the eye area. Mix some black and brown and paint accordingly. After it dries, this is a good time to spray some clear coat before starting the eyes.

Notice the darkened area around the eyes! 


b) The Eyes
For my eyes, I used clear yellow tinted cellophane from the dollar store. You'll need more than one layer to make the eyes more yellow and less clear. Super glue the cellophane to the inside of the mask, you can't use hot glue gun since it will melt the cellophane. You may want to paint some orange in the eyes (but I didn't). 

Hot glue would melt the cellophane, use super glue instead.

The Deku Mask has 3 leaves at the top of the mask. 
c) The Final Touches
Hot Glue Gun 3 large leaves to the top inside of the mask so they stand up like in the picture. I used some twine and made a little loop behind the leaves so I could hang mine. If you want to make it a mask, they sell elastic velcro straps at the dollar store, I'ld cut slits to loop the straps or try hot glue gunning them in place.


After the Final Touches - Ta-Da! It's done! 

THERE YOU HAVE IT! =D I added a few extra leaves at the top and hung mine outside the game room. I even got a wall battery operated push light and put it underneath to make the eyes glow. Do whatever you wish! Thanks for reading! =D


No comments:

Post a Comment